Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Microsoft Excel - The blood of BD Analyst

Can you imagine doing an analysis work without software like Excel? A one day job of data analysis can be one week or even a month, what a waste of time.

As a business development analyst, I deal with a lot amount of data. Our job is to make that data useful information to make decision. Sometimes, if we already know what we are going to do with that data, it is a simple work with Excel. But many times, I must clean up the data, think about what kind analysis is the most appropriate, and build the modeling calculation in Excel.

I must say that Excel has help me a lot and I am still try to use it to the fullest.

Kinds of analysis or modeling that I usually made:
  1. Feasibility Study : this was the most comprehensive one I ever build.
  2. Capital Budgeting : for make decision to buy or lease a machine or vehicle or any kind of investment.
  3. Corporate Valuation : to decide whether how much the value of one company, usually we use this if we want to buy or sell a company.
  4. Incentive design : I build this for our new sales incentive scheme.
  5. and much more [I usually start some simple analysis and then develop it to a more complex one]